CORE Contemporary and Aerial Dance
Selected Presentations and Events
- ACDFA Regional GALA Performances
Adjudicated works selected for four American College Dance Festival Gala Concerts. Journey to the Hindbrain (Sarasvati) Mid-Atlantic ACDFA, Raleigh, NC (1996); Rainforest Dreams (Sarasvati) Miami, FL (1997) for SE ACDFA; 3M (Bill Young) Jacksonville, FL (1999) for SE ACDFA; Coeur de CORE (Sarasvati) Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL (2006).
-Coeur de CORE (2006) selected for National American College Dance Festival Conference
John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, Washington, D.C. May, 2006.
- Presented NO/ON (Contra Sur Project) Ohio State University Resident and Visiting Artist Concert.
Selected Columbus Alive Best Choreography 2007
- Presented dance workshops at the GLOBAL LABAN Conference, Centro Coreografico do Rio, April, 2008.
- Presented Coeur de CORE Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. April 24. Centro Coreographico, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in August, 2008.
- Presented 8 Minutes and 37 Seconds of CORE Colors at the UGA ARTS FESTIVAL, September, 2008
- Awarded Jane Willson Professor in the Arts at the University of Georgia, 2008. The endowment supports CORE production, touring and aerial equipment annually.
- Presented film and dance for the Tribute to Goldfinger event at the Robert Osborne Classic Film Festival opening night,
Classic Center, Athens, GA. March, 2009
-Presented lecture and film of Stolen Generation (aerial dance collaboration with Elsie Smith) at the World Dance Alliance, Brisbane, Australia, 2009.
- Featured entertainment (aerial and dance) for the Annual State of Georgia Regents Gala Event, Marriott Marquis, Atlanta, GA, April, 2009
-Presented Coeur de CORE at the World Dance Alliance Global Event. Dance Theatre Workshop (DTW), New York City, NY. July, 2010
- Presented Turn the Page, Sonos and Lux at the UGA Celebration of Support 2010 Georgia Aquarium, Ocean’s Ballroom, Atlanta GA
- Collaboration with Marie Porterfield’s “The Specters of the Outer Spaces” film project UGA Ideas for Creative Exploration Event, May, 2010.
- Featured aerial and dance performance for the UGA Arch Foundation Event - New Dance Theatre, Athens, GA, May, 2010.
- Presented Threshold 2010 for the WORMHOLE PROJECT w/ Joe Futral, Matt Kent (Associate director, Pilobolus) and Alison Chase (founding member, Pilobolus) May 16-22, 2010, Atlanta, GA.
- Presented Coeur de CORE at 7 Stages, Atlanta GA, with Zoetic Dance Exchange Choreographer’s Showcase
Featuring CORE Concert Dance Company, and works by Bubba Carr, Daryl Foster,
T. Lang, Beth Lewis, Terry Slade, Zoetic Dance Ensemble & Dance Exchange program participants. June 24-26, 2010 8:00 PM held at
-Presented at the DanceATHENS, hosted by DanceFX, Morton Theatre, Athens GA, 2010 and 2011.
- Presented “Contemporary and Aerial Dance Integration” Contemporary and Aerial Dance Concert 2011
March 2-5, 2011 8:00 PM. UGA Department of Dance New Dance Theatre
- Presented CORE at GAHPERD, Marietta Hilton, Atlanta, GA, Oct. 2011.
-CORE Concert Dance Company, Contemporary and Aerial Dance Concert Feb. 29-March 3, 2012, UGA Department of Dance New Dance Theatre.
Southeast American College Dance Festival, Albany, GA. March 31-April 3, 2012
- Presented “Contemporary and Aerial Dance Integration” at the National Dance Education Organization NDEO Conference 2012, In collaboration with International Guild of Musicians in Dance, Ramón C. Cortines School of Visual and Performing Art and Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), Los Angeles, CA, Oct. 2012.
Producer and coordinator of the Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company Residency Oct. 15-17, 2012
and the Ririe-Woodbury Repertory Concert Wed. Oct. 17, 8:00 PM Supported by Willson Center for Humanities and Arts Conference/Installation Grant and Art Works Grant, arts.gov.
- Featured entertainment for the Council For Advancement and Support of Education (CASE III)
Annual Conference “INSPIRE” held at MASON MURER Museum Fine Art Gallery and Event Space, Atlanta GA
Feb. 18, 2013.http://www.casethree.org/annual_conference.html
- Featured performance for the UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA Alumni Association Leadership Assembly, Feb. 23, 2013
held at the UGA Department of Dance - New Dance Theatre. www.alumni.uga.edu/alumni/
- Presented TAKING FLIGHT! CORE Concert Dance Company,Contemporary and Aerial Dance Concert, Feb. 27-March 2, 2013
UGA Department of Dance New Dance Theatre.
- Presented aerial dance performances and master class at World Dance Alliance 2013 Conference and Festival, Scotiabank Dance Centre, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.July 20- August 2, 2013.http://www.wda-americas.net/conference/
About: Flight Dreams (Soaring)
- Directed DAAP Stellar and the Dream Chasers! 2014 at UGA in collaboration with UGA Physics and Astronomy Scientists
and Theatre and Film Studies Dramatic Media Area. Feb. 26-March 1, 2013
- Presented DAAP Stellar and the Dream Chasers! Film Presentation at the World Dance Alliance Global Event
Centre Nationat De Danse Contemporaine, Angers, France, July, 2014
- Presented Da Lo Devotion at LIMS Mosaic @ Crossing Boundaries, Dixon Place, NYC, NY Sept. 30, 2014
- Presented Birdeyes at LIMS Mosaic @ Crossing Boundaries, Manhatten Movement Arts Center, NYC, NY, Sept. 2015.
- Presented film presentation of CORE and relevance in 21st C concert production at the Global World Dance Alliance conference, New Foundland, Canada, August 2017.
Earlier Highlights of Collaboration/Interdisciplinary Events and Festival Presentations
- Event in a Warehouse. Collaborated with the Georgia Museum of Art to present Lyrical Faith, a tribute to Elaine De Kooning. Full evening of original dance based on the GMOA exhibition of De Kooning’s art pieces (1992).
- Chito Lapena and Bala Sarasvati’s A Way to Mandala (1993) cited by UGA Vice President for Research for outstanding creative research in 1994. Full-evening work incorporated live interactive computer interface (digitally rendered sound and visual effects) as a media layer with live dance performance.
- MAYA–Illusions in Nature, Technology and the Arts, an interactive computer and dance collaboration, with Tom White, UGA alumnus, Ph.D at MIT, Arvin Scott and Chic Ball, School of Music composers, presented at UGA, Athens, GA in 1995.
-Full-evening concert Shakti-The Force of Destiny. Funded by ARTS ’96 as a Cultural Olympiad Event during the 1996 Olympic Games Events, Athens, GA.
- The Seasons Change. Collaborated with Leonard (Chic) Ball, Director of Electronic Studio for the Roger and Phyllis Dancz Center for New Music, 1995. Combined original music score, film backdrop and dance. Performed by CORE Concert Dance Company at major music conferences in the U.S and abroad, and dance concerts performed throughout China.
- Collaborated with faculty and graduate students from the School of Music’s New Music Composition Area to create CONTACT, a full- evening program of original music and dance held at School of Music’s Roger and Phyllis Dancz Center, 1996.
- Collaborated with Sydney T. Bacchus, Institute of Ecology doctoral student (water resources), Dr. James Porter, Professor of Ecology (coral reefs), and Dr. Fausto Sariemento, Director for the Center for Latin American Caribbean Studies (tropical rain forest studies) to present A Tribute to Mother Earth. Rainforest Dreams, presented at the Gusman Theatre, Miami, FL and on tour, 1997-98.
- Collaborated four consecutive years with musical composer/musician Dr. Arvin Scott. Premiered SpringBreak, three original music pieces released on Scott’s SPRINGBREAK CD in 1999 and Spirit of the Drum, 2000. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/arvinscott An edited screen dance version of Springbreak was selected for the International Video Festival, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1999.
- Three week residency and staging of When Sun Passes Through, Tsoying High School (Arts) Kaohsiung, Taiwan, July, 2000.
-Collaborated with David Bryant (Marine Sciences) David Saltz, (Theatre and Film) Chic Ball (School of Music) Susan Murphy (aerial trapeze) Molissa Fenley (choreographer/performer) to create WATERWAYS in 2001. Involved a large group of graduate and undergraduate students. UGA Ideas for Creative Exploration Project (ICE)
- Sarasvati’s choreography and CORE Concert Dance Company selected for DANCE AT NOON concerts annually at the Piccolo Spoleto Dance Festivals, Charleston, SC, 1996-2002. Received critical acclaim in 1999, 2000, and 2002.
- Eastwinds, a tribute to 2001 events. In collaboration with Michael Oliveri (visual arts) and Chic Ball. Incorporated video backdrop, interactive music, aerial trapeze and dance. 2002.
- Stolen Generation, in collaboration with Elsie Smith (Gemini Twins, formerly Cirque de Soleil) presented at CORE Concert Dance Company Spring Collection 2003 and 2008 and Brisbane, Australia for WDA in 2009. Misunderstood: A Tribute to Nina Simone excerpts throughout China in 2004.
- Presented seven main stage performances throughout China, May 12-29, 2004. Sarasvati’s choreography and CORE Concert Dance Company was invited and hosted by the US-China Cultural & Educational Foundation, Song Yang, Vice President and coordinator. Main Stage Performances Beijing International Arts Festival Huizhou Performing Arts Stadium, Municipal Theater of Daya Bay, Chengdu Municipal Convention Center and Arts Theater (two performances, televised), Performing Arts Theater of the Sichuan International Dance Conservatory (Chengdu), Zhengzhou Municipal Performing Artist's Theater
- Presented Bolero Configuare, 5 Degrees of Separation, When Sun Passes Through at the José Limón Institute Spring informal concerts held in NYC in June 2000, 2002, 2003.
- Temporary Excursions With a Relative Departure In Mind presented at the
- Judson Memorial Church for LIMS 25th Anniversary Celebration, November 2004;
and LIMS Mosaic held at St. Marks Church in 2005. Link: LIMS ONLINE MOSAIC